Coal Action Network Aotearoa (CANA) is a group of climate justice campaigners committed to fighting the continuation of coal mining in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Coal Action Network Aotearoa was first formed in 2007 by people who had experience campaigning against coal mining, such as in the Save Happy Valley Campaign, and who were looking for a way to broaden the coal and climate campaign. In 2010, largely in response to Solid Energy’s plans to mine massive amounts of lignite in Southland, the campaign got more active on a national level.
Coal Action Network Aotearoa (CANA) recognises coal as the primary threat to Earth’s climate system. CANA promotes climate justice by advocating and acting for a just transition to an Aotearoa free of coal mining and use.
We do this work in order to open up a space for a sustainable ways of living and organising our societies, so that our future generations will have a thriving planet to sustain them.
- Phase out coal mining and coal usage by 2027, initially by opposing new and expanded coal mines.
- Promote a cultural change so that mining and using coal are unacceptable.
- Work towards a society where people and the environment are not exploited for profit.
- Work towards a socially just transition to a coal-free Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Coal Action Network Aotearoa has a primary focus on the impacts of coal mining on climate change.
- Coal Action Network Aotearoa is opposed to any system which puts profit before people and planet. We recognise that exploitation of the environment is linked to the exploitation of people.
- Coal Action Network Aotearoa works from a climate justice perspective. A shift to a fossil-free future must address capitalism as the root causes of climate change, must come from below and must not further oppress those at the bottom.
Coal Action Network Aotearoa consists of the following:
- A national organising group that sets the agenda and strategies for the national campaign.
- A list of newsletter subscribers. This is a low volume email list, receiving only the newsletter and occasional announcements. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to this list.
- The lignite campaign discussion list: a smaller email group to which members can post messages and discuss the campaign against Southland lignite. A high-volume, high-energy email group!
- Our social media networks: We encourage you to join the Coal Action Network Aotearoa Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/218300434877031/ and follow our Twitter account: http://twitter.com/coalaction.
There are also a number of local and regional groups associated with CANA.